Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

This is where you will find most answers. If there should still be any questions left, don’t hesitate to contact us.


Can I start works straight away once Prime Construction Consultants Ltd have been appointed?
Due to the code between ACAI (Association of Corporate Approved Inspectors) and the Local Authority we must supply the local authority with an Initial Notice which states the owner, address of the property, description of works and other items including Fire and Sewage connections. This information is all provided by the submission form. No works can start before five working days, from the day the Local Authority is in receipt of the Initial Notice.
Are Prime Construction Consultants Ltd the same as the Local Authority?
As a Corporate Approved Inspector we are not affiliated with the Local Authority. We are a Private Building Control company who are able to offer an organised and experienced approach to the building process, by ensuring all builds from a small domestic extension or loft conversion to new build houses/flats or industrial units, comply with current building regulations. Our clients also find us flexible and approachable in looking at new solutions to problems or using a different product to meet the building regulation requirements.
Can you help me with planning issues?

Planning issues can only be dealt with by the Local Authority Planning Departments. The Planning Portal may be able to answer some questions, please go to;

Alternatively, our sister company Prime Building Consultants Ltd can undertake planning applications. Please contact us for details.

What is a Party Wall Agreement and will it affect me?

For all questions pertaining to Building Surveying please visit the website this will be able to answer frequently asked questions. Our sister company PBC Ltd also deal with Party Wall matters.

What are the Building Regulations and why do I need to have Building Control?

The Building Regulations are a set of guidelines that must be followed to ensure the works undertaken provide the best health and safety for the people in and around the building. There are thirteen parts to the Building Regulations which a Corporate Approved Inspector will check;

The Building Control Final Certificate (Form 5) will be issued at the end of our checking procedures and this will need to be presented to any prospective buyer if you wish to sell in the future.

How long will the Initial Notice stay active once registered with the Local Authority?

The Initial Notice will stay active for 3 years once registered however only if works have not started. If the works have started there is no time limit for the Notice.

What is a Part P Electrical Certificate?

Part P of the building regulations will require a valid electrical certificate to be issued by an electrician under the competent persons scheme e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA.

What is a SAP Calculation?

The SAP calculations stand for Standard Assessment Procedure which is used to calculate the energy performance of a dwelling.

Will I receive a Certificate from Prime Construction Consultants Ltd or the Local Authority at the end of works?

A Final Certificate will be issued at the end of the works by Prime Construction Consultants Ltd we will send a copy of this certificate to the Local Authority for their records.